|Home | Yearbooks | Students | Biographies | History | Phone Books | Churches | Pictures | Links|
Christian Ackermann, Page 682
CHRISTIAN ACKERMANN, the leading mason contractor of Sheboygan, and an extensive manufacturer of brick, established business in his line in this city in 1874, and has since successfully and uninterruptedly continued it. Mr. Ackermann is a native of Germany, and was born in Hanover, September 4, 1850. He is a son of Christopher and Julia (Pinck) Ackermann, who were also natives of that country.
He was educated in Hanover, and learned the mason's trade in the city of Hamburg. When eighteen years of age (1868), he emigrated to America, making his home in Chicago, where he worked at his trade. In 1874, he removed to Sheboygan an engaged in contracting and building brick structures, soon winning prominence in the line of his business. Soon after coming here, he formed a partnership with Fred D. Mueller, under the firm name of Mueller & Ackermann, and together they did an extensive business. This partnership continued until March, 10, 1891, when it was dissolved by mutual consent.
Among the more prominent buildings erected by these gentlemen, and later by Mr. Ackermann alone, may be mentioned the school buildings in the First, Second, Fourth and Eighth Wards; the Sheboygan County Chronic Insane Asylum; the Grand Hotel; the Schlict Block, on Eighth Street; Henry Mueller's block; the Phoenix Chair Company's plant; the Sheboygan Chair Company's works; the Roenitz Tannery; the Gutsch Brewery; Johan's Block; Adam Pfeiler's block, and the principal buildings on Eighth Street; the South Side Catholic Church; the National Hotel; a large portion of the J. J. Vollrath Manufacturing Company's plant; the Crocker Chair Company's Factory "B;" the Peter Martin Block; and the Winter Lumber Company's factory. He has built many fine residences, among which may be named those of Frank Geele, Otto Foeste, Christian Neumeister and numerous others. He is now engaged in building the jail and Sheriff's residence.
In the spring of 1881, Mr Ackermann engaged in the manufacture of brick in Sheboygan, which he has continued ever since, on the same ground. The annual output of his kilns is about a million brick. He employs, in all, an average of seventy-five men.
Mr. Ackermann was married in Sheboygan, November 15, 1875, to Miss Lena Ehlers. Mrs. Ackermann was born in Holstein, Germany, and is a daughter of Henry and Marguerite (Maas) Ehlers. She came to America in March, 1870, coming directly to Sheboygan. Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Ackermann, two sons and three daughters: Annie M., Charles H., Ida W., William H. C., and Mary R. M.
Mr. Ackermann has been quite successful in business, doing more building in all classes of masonry structures than any other man in the city. He has acquired considerable property, which includes twenty-two lots near the lake, in the vicinity of his yard, a brick residence on Wisconsin Street, and a large, tasty resident tract, his present home, which commands a fine view of the harbor and lake.
In politics, Mr. Ackermann is a Republican. He and his family are members of the Lutheran Church. He has served fours years in succession as Supervisor from his ward on the County Board, and is esteemed a useful and active member of that body.
|Copyright © 2009 www.sheboyganhistory.com - All Rights Reserved.|