|Home | Yearbooks | Students | Biographies | History | Phone Books | Churches | Pictures | Links|
Frederick Burhop, Page 290
FREDERICK BURHOP, one of the first and oldest living settlers of the town of Herman, residing on section 22, is a native of Nienburg, province of Hanover, Germany, born on the 9th of April, 1817. His parents, William and Sophia (Hiza) Burhop, were natives of the same place as their son. The father was a small farmer, and also worked for his neighbors, doing general farm work. Mr. Burhop was bereft of his parents when young, being but nine years of age when his mother was taken. Some time later the father's death occurred, when the son was yet quite young. Frederick was reared and educated in his native village. Like his father before him, he, too, followed the occupation of a farmer, until he was enrolled to serve his country as a soldier. After a service of six years he returned to his home, where he was engaged in farming and clerking, alternately until his marriage.
On the 26th of May, 1844, Mr. Burhop was united in matrimony with Miss Dora Semsroth, a daughter of Henry and Adelia (Scholling) Semsroth. Mrs. Burhop was born December 4, 1821, in the same locality as her husband. They had attended the same school and played together as children. She is one of a family of four children. Soon after their marriage the young couple, accompanied by two of the wife's brothers, went to Bremen, where they took passage on the English sailing-vessel "Rupri" for Baltimore. Sailing on the 21st of May, 1846, with some three hundred on board, they arrived at port ten weeks later. From Baltimore Mr. Burhop went by way of Pittsburgh to Milwaukee. In that city a son was born to them, John, who lived to see forty years. He married Anna Ausbroch and had seven children, four of whom are deceased. Those living are Bertha, Tillie and Amelia. From Milwaukee they came to the town of Herman, where one hundred and sixty acres of Government land was bought, they paying the nominal sum of $200 for the same, Mr. Koch, well known in Wisconsin as "Land Agent Koch," negotiating the trade.
Not long after coming to Herman, Mr. Burhop thought he could better his fortune near Milwaukee, and removed thither, making the journey through dense timber, as at that time no roads had been made. The landmarks familiar to the traveler in those days were the blazed trees. For many weary days they persevered, through swamp and morass, until their destination was reached. The father went into the timber, where he cut cordwood, receiving the sum of thirty cents per cord. At home the good wife added to their store of worldly goods by knitting stockings. One year was spent there, when they returned to their claim in Herman Township. This being covered with timber, Mr. Burhop began clearing it, and for several years made shingles for A. P. Lyman, of Sheboygan, receiving ten and twelve shillings per thousand. In 1852 Fred Arpke, with the assistance of his neighbors, erected a sawmill. This offered a new field of labor, and through the long winter months these sturdy pioneers supplied the mill with logging material. This was the first industry of its kind in the township, and proved a valuable factor in the development of this community. Our subject remembers well the neighborly Chippewas, and many were the long evenings spent in the company of these bronzed sons of the forest. For many months these people were their only neighbors, Mr. Burhop sold to a new-comer eighty acres for the same price that he had paid for it.
Mr. and Mrs. Burhop have a family of six children, as follows: Henry, now of Sheboygan, who wedded Miss Louise Wehrman; Caroline, the only daughter, who became the wife of Ray Shaw, of the same city; William, who married Miss Marie Sash, a native of Port Huron, Mich., and is a teacher in the schools of Chicago; Fred, who wedded Miss Amelia Schweinsberg, a native of Detroit, and resides in that city; and Herman, who owns and farms the old homestead, and who married Miss Eda Fischer, a daughter of Henry Fischer, of whom see sketch elsewhere in this record. The latter's marriage occurred at the home of the bride, April 15, 1882. To the young couple have been born two children, a son and a daughter, Tillie and Willie. Martin, the next in order of birth, and youngest of Mr. Burhop's children, chose for his wife Miss Emma Aldag, a native of Sheboygan, in which place they reside.
Mr. Burhop has served his town as Supervisor one term; Road Supervisor four terms, and as plank road Director for four terms. Politically, he is a Democrat. Religiously, the family are members of the German Lutheran Church.
|Copyright © 2009 www.sheboyganhistory.com - All Rights Reserved.|