|Home | Yearbooks | Students | Biographies | History | Phone Books | Churches | Pictures | Links|
William Chambers, Page 339
WILLIAM CHAMBERS was a pioneer of what is now the town of Mitchell, where he settled in 1847, on section 36. His patent bears the date of May 13, 1847, the earliest known patent in the town. He entered the east half of section 36, where he passed the remainder of his life.
Mr. Chambers was born in County Cavan, Ireland, in October of 1798, and was a son of Charles and Elizabeth Chambers. The family was of Welsh origin. His great-grandfather came from Wales, and his father was born in Wales. Mr. Chambers was married in the Old Country to Jane Rayburn, who bore him four children, three daughters and one son, as follows: Eliza, who died at the age of fifteen years; Henry, the only son; Jane, who became the wife of Alfred Tracy, a farmer of Mitchell Township; and Ann, now the wife of John Garvin, also of Mitchell. Mrs. Chambers, the mother of this family, died in her native land in 1845.
In 1846, Mr. Chambers emigrated to the United States, and the following year patented land in Sheboygan County, Wis., as above stated. His children, whom he had left behind, came the next year, and with them he made his home upon his claim. Out of the wilderness he developed a comfortable home and a fine farm. Mr. Chambers was a farmer all his life, as was his father before him.
In his political views, he was a Democrat at first, but after the Civil War supported the principles of the Republican party. Both himself and wife were members of the Episcopal Church. His death occurred on the 2d of March, 1873.
Henry Chambers resides on a part of the old homestead, where he has one hundred and twenty acres, well improved and in a high state of cultivation. In his religious faith, he holds membership with the United Brethren Church.
|Copyright © 2009 www.sheboyganhistory.com - All Rights Reserved.|