|Home | Yearbooks | Students | Biographies | History | Phone Books | Churches | Pictures | Links|
Lyman T. Coller, M. D., Page 364
LYMAN T. COLLER, M. D. The medical fraternity is one of the first elements in the progress and intelligence of any community, and we are glad to give the life sketch of this well-known physician of Hingham, Lima Township. He is a native of the Empire State, born in Dutchess County, March 25, 1845, and is the third in a family of four sons and two daughters born unto Norman and Elizabeth (Tanner) Coller. Three of the number are now living. Elizabeth and Elmira are residents of Chicago, the latter being the wife of W. Ahern.
Our subject's father was born in 1797, in New York, and was seventy-three years of age at the time of his death. His early life was principally devoted to teaching, but in later years he became an agriculturist. He was a man of superior education and ability, and was a graduate of the Amelia Seminary, of Dutchess County, N. Y. In may, 1847, he removed to Wisconsin, settling in what is now Eaton, and there remained until a year previous to his death, which occurred in Hingham. He was an old-line Whig, but first voted for John P. Hale, the Abolition candidate. After the organization of the Republican party he advocated its principles for several years, and later supported the Greenback platform. He was a man of importance in the community, and was Superintendent of Schools for many years. He also acceptably filled the office of Township Supervisor and various other offices. A member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, he was an active worker in that body, and was a man of recognized influence. For many years prior to his death, he owned a farm of two hundred acres in Fond du Lac County, and also was the owner of another farm of eighty acres. His first home in the county was a log cabin, and often large bands of Indians passed his humble abode.
The Doctor was only two years of age when his parents brought him to Wisconsin, where he spent the remainder of his life. He participated in the hardships and trials of pioneer life in his early years, and received his primary education in the common schools of the neighborhood. In 1863, he entered Lawrence University, pursuing a scientific course for three years. Subsequently, he came to Sheboygan County and studied medicine for a year with his uncle, Perry Coller, who was a physician of note. In October, 1867, he permanently located in Hingham, where he began practice. Feeling the need of further study in his chosen profession, he went to Chicago in the fall of 1878, and spent a year in the Chicago Medical College, after which he entered Rush Medical College for a post-graduate course, in the spring of 1882, graduating therefrom in the following February. Afterwards he took nine private courses of study, for all of which he holds certificates. He is a man who is ably qualified to fill the arduous duties incident to a physician's life. As previously stated, he has been engaged in the line of his profession in Hingham since the fall of 1867. His practice extends over Lima, Holland, Lyndon, Sherman, Wilson and other towns. having qualified himself also as a dentist, he receives a liberal patronage in that direction. As a man, he is whole-souled, cordial and genial, and by these qualities makes many friends.
Dr. Coller married Miss Mary S. Pierce July 4, 1870. She is a daughter of James Pierce, and was born in New York, and grew to womanhood in Wisconsin. Two sons have blessed the union of the Doctor and his wife. Cleon D., a student of Lawrence University, is taking a full philosophical course and belongs to the Class of '97. He is a young man of marked intellect, and will surely have a brilliant future. Perry Eugene is a bright boy of seven years.
The sole capital of Dr. Coller when starting in life was the sum of $500, and, though he is not wealthy, he has, nevertheless, acquired considerable means, which places his family in good circumstances. He is a Jeffersonian Democrat, having upheld those principles since first exercising his right of franchise in favor of Gen. George B. McClellan. He stands by his convictions in a fearless and conservative manner. In 1887, he was elected as a delegate to the State Convention, and many times has been one of the county delegates. He was for two terms Chairman of the Board of Supervisors of Lima Township, and has been Director of the public schools of this village. The Doctor has met with success, and has invested his means in valuable village property, and in a farm near Waldo, west of Hingham. He has always been a man of executive ability and energy. Socially he is a member of St. John's Masonic Lodge, at Sheboygan Falls, and also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
|Copyright © 2009 www.sheboyganhistory.com - All Rights Reserved.|