|Home | Yearbooks | Students | Biographies | History | Phone Books | Churches | Pictures | Links|
John Kline Curtiss, Page 237
JOHN KLINE CURTISS, deceased, was born February 19, 1820, at Mt. Washington, Mass. His father, Nylys Curtiss, who was a native of Connecticut was born November 11, 1796, in Farmington, and later emigrated to Massachusetts. John K. emigrated to Sandy Creet, Oswego County, N. Y., with his parents. There he grew to manhood, and married Miss Almyra Auyer, in September, 1843. The bride was born in Frankfort, Herkimer County, N. Y., May 18, 1825, but her parents came from the old Bay State to New York. In 1845, they emigrated to Ellisburgh, Jefferson County, in the same State. In October, 1858, Mr. Curtiss came to Wisconsin, locating in Sheboygan County, on the farm now owned by his son Edward. This farm contained one hundred and sixty acres of land, about twenty acres of which were cleared and in wheat. The frame house, which still stands, was one of the best in the neighborhood. In this place he made his home as long as he lived, his death occurring June 15, 1891, at the advanced age of seventy-one years. His wife, who was a worthy member of the Episcopal Church, died April 10, 1884, several years previous to her husband. In his politics, Mr. Curtiss was a life-long Democrat. Both husband and wife were valued neighbors and citizens. In their family were seven children, four sons and three daughters. The sons are all living, as follows: Jerome J., who lives in New London, Wis.; Romain D., who is a farmer at Medford, Taylor County, in the same State; J. Edward, who owns and operates the old homestead; and George B., a teacher by profession.
J. Edward Curtiss was born in the house where he now lives, the date of his birth being August 11, 1865. He was reared on that farm, and educated in the Plymouth schools, graduating from the High School in the Class of '82, after which he returned to the farm and resumed the old work. October 1, 1888, in Lima Township, occurred the marriage of Mr. Curtiss and Miss Nancy Gallager. The lady, who is a native of the town of Scott, was born April 7, 1861, and is a daughter of William and Mary Gallager.
Mr. Curtiss became owner of half of the old homestead on the 19th of November, 1889, and in January, 1892, bought the other half, now owning the original one hundred and sixty acres purchased by his father in 1858. Of this there are one hundred acres in cultivation, thirty-five in heavy timber, and the remainder is chopped off.
Politically, Mr. Curtiss is a Democrat, having cast his first Presidential ballot for Cleveland for his first term. Socially, he belongs to Hiawatha Council No. 520, R. A. Mr. Curtiss has always made his home in the town of Plymouth, and is recognized as one of the wide-awake young business men of his vicinity. In addition to his farming, he began the manufacture of cheese in 1890, and has carried it on continuously since. His factory, which has a daily output of about four hundred and fifty pounds, is proving a profitable investment.
|Copyright © 2009 www.sheboyganhistory.com - All Rights Reserved.|