|Home | Yearbooks | Students | Biographies | History | Phone Books | Churches | Pictures | Links|
Peter Friedrichs, Page 376
PETER FRIEDRICHS, who operates a good farm on section 9, Wilson Township, is another of the scions of the old pioneer, J. H. Friedrichs. He is a native of Sheboygan, his birth having occurred July 9, 1858, and he was reared to the trade of a wagon-maker. He has largely followed the butcher's business, and it has brought him well-merited success. He received a good education in the English tongue, and can read and write the German language. He is a young man who is honorable and upright in the various walks of life, and is classed among the best citizens of this township.
On the 8th of November, 1883, Mr. Friedrichs wedded Miss Mary Schlieder, a native of New York, born May 3, 1864. They were married at Oostburg, Wis., and by their union have been born six children, four sons and two daughters. Three are now deceased, and those living are Olga M., Oscar W. and Hattie, aged respectively four years, two years and four months. The mother was only an infant of three months when she was brought by her parents to Wilson Township, where she has been reared and educated. Her father, Gotleib Schlieder, is a native of Saxony, Germany. He followed the occupation of a farmer for many years, but is now living retired in Sheboygan. He wife's maiden name was Wilhelmina Barth, and she is also still living.
At the age of nineteen years our subject embarked in active business for himself, and has been engaged in buying and selling stock for some sixteen years. He commenced his business without capital, and even borrowed money of his father, on which he paid interest, the same as to any stranger. Every cent of the indebtedness he has now discharged. By industry and thrift he has made a success of his chosen work, and though he has seen considerable trouble and disappointment, having lost one fortune, he has pursued his work with fortitude and has retrieved his losses. He has a stern and self-reliant disposition, and exemplifies in his business the axiom, "There is no such word as fail."
Religiously, our subject and his wife are adherents of the German Lutheran Church. The former is a Democrat in politics, but cast his first Presidential vote for James A. Garfield. He has been actively interested in political affairs, and stands firmly by his principles. Officially, he was Supervisor for one term, representing the Fifth Ward of the city. he served as Justice of the Peace for four years, and has been a delegate to county conventions for years. The confidence of the people is his in a marked degree, and he is recognized as a young man of good business ability and sound judgment. In November, 1892, he located in Wilson Township, where he has erected a fine building, in which is a first-class saloon. He has made good improvements and commands a large trade. he operates forty-six acres of land in the same township, which belongs to his father. In educational matters he stands firmly by the public schools, which are the salvation of all great States.
|Copyright © 2009 www.sheboyganhistory.com - All Rights Reserved.|