|Home | Yearbooks | Students | Biographies | History | Phone Books | Churches | Pictures | Links|
Andrew Gilbertson, Page 613
ANDREW GILBERTSON, Principal of the Fourth Ward School at Sheboygan, is one of the successful educators of this city. He has occupied his present position since the beginning of the school year of 1887. This school numbers, with the Principal, twelve teachers, and in 1893 enrolled six hundred and twenty-six pupils.
Mr. Gilbertson was born near Manitowoc, Wis., April 12, 1866. His father, Gilbert Gilbertson, was one of the early settlers of the same county. he was born in Norway in 1812, where he grew to manhood and married Mary Johnson. In 1848, two years after his marriage, he emigrated to Wisconsin, resided in Rock County one year, then removed to Manitowoc County. he settled on a farm in the town of Liberty, which he obtained of the Government. Of that farm he made a homestead, and there resided until his death, which occurred October 16, 1879. he left three sons and one daughter. Harry, the eldest, occupies the old homestead farm; Gilbert is also a farmer of Liberty Township; the sister is a resident of Chicago; and the subject of this sketch is the youngest of the family.
Mr. Gilbertson obtained his early education in the common schools, and in 1882 entered the State Normal School at Oshkosh, where he attended for a year, and then engaged in teaching for the same length of time; in fact, he taught and attended school alternately until he graduated in the Class of '87.
As an educator, Mr. Gilbertson is a pronounced success, a young man of energy and ability. The school over which he presides is characterized by its excellent discipline and thorough methods of instruction.
|Copyright © 2009 www.sheboyganhistory.com - All Rights Reserved.|