|Home | Yearbooks | Students | Biographies | History | Phone Books | Churches | Pictures | Links|
Jacob Hoffmann, Page 360
JACOB HOFFMANN, who owns a desirable farm on section 13, Lima Township, is one of the prominent and highly regarded farmers and citizens of this locality. He was born in Rhenish Prussia, near the city of Treves, May 29, 1852. His father, Peter Hoffmann, was born in the Fatherland in 1806, and died in 1889. He was a wagon-maker by trade and followed that vocation in Germany, but after coming to America took up agriculture. His wife bore the maiden name of Mary Nittler, and they had born to them five sons and two daughters. With his family the father set sail from Antwerp in 1855, and after thirty-three days spent on the briny deep safely landed in New York. Proceeding at once to Manitowoc County, Wis., he purchased ninety-seven acres of partly improved land. The Indians were very plentiful, and deer were often seen in the forest. The father was a Democrat in politics, and both he and his wife were members of the German Catholic Church. Their remains were interred in the cemetery of Meeme, Manitowoc County. The mother survived until February, 1892.
Jacob Hoffmann was only three years old when he came to America, and he continued to live on the old homestead with his parents until he was twenty-six years old. His first home was a log house, and bands of Indians often passed the humble abode. In his boyhood he had a tame deer, and often brought down large game with his trusty rifle. He is largely self-educated, both in the English and German languages. After his eighteenth year he was given his time and an opportunity to engage in life's warfare for himself. In 1869, he commenced working as a lumberman, and continued for two summers and five winters thus employed. At the expiration of this time, which was in 1875, he revisited the scenes of his birthplace, traveling through the cities of Cologne, Weisbaden, Frankfort, Treves, Bremen, Hanover and Antwerp. He remained on the Continent until June, 1876, passing his time very pleasantly and profitably.
For two years after returning from Europe, Mr. Hoffmann continued making his old home his headquarters, but in 1878 he located in Lima Township, at the Six Corners. He commenced in the saloon business and also carried on a farm. On the 5th of March, 1878, was celebrated his marriage with Miss Catherine Wagner, who was born February 1, 1858, in Sheboygan County. Four sons and two daughters have been born of their union: Clara N., who has been a student at Catherine's Convent in Racine, Wis.; John M., Katie, Peter J., Joseph H. and William F., who complete the number. The mother is well educated in both the German and English tongues, and has proved of great assistance to her husband in every possible way.
The first Presidential vote of Mr. Hoffmann was cast in the campaign of 1876, for S. J. Tilden. he has been active in the ranks of the Democratic party, and in 1891 was a candidate for Assemblyman of District No. 3, Sheboygan County. He made a good race in the face of the new system, or Australian Ballot. The people have bestowed their confidence upon him to a flattering extent, and during his candidacy he received in Wilson Township one hundred and one votes against the twenty-three votes of his opponent, A. R. Munger, of Scott. He has held the office of Supervisor of Lima Township, has been Treasurer of Wilson Township Mutual Insurance company for ten or twelve years, and has been Treasurer of his school district. He has an excellent business, which he conducts in an able manner, and owns thirty-nine acres of good farm land in Lima Township. Under the administration of President Hayes when D. M. Kay was Postmaster-General, he received his commission as Postmaster. This was in 1879, and he has acceptable filled the office up to date. He is a gentleman who is well known in the community, and we are glad to be able to present his many friends with his sketch. he and his wife are members of St. George's Catholic Church, of which Father Blume is pastor.
|Copyright © 2009 www.sheboyganhistory.com - All Rights Reserved.|