|Home | Yearbooks | Students | Biographies | History | Phone Books | Churches | Pictures | Links|
Abraham N. Jackson, Page 475
ABRAHAM N. JACKSON, who is numbered among Sheboygan County's pioneer settlers, follows farming on section 2, Lyndon Township. Born in Oneida County, N. Y., February 23, 1820, he is the second in a family of five sons and two daughters, whose parents were John M. and Hester (Neely) Jackson. Only two of the children are now living, Abraham, and Silas T., a wagon-maker of Sheboygan Falls. The father, who was born in New York, December 13, 1795, was educated in the primitive log schoolhouse, and afterward followed farming. He took a great interest in military affairs, and at his death held a Brigadier-General's commission. He was called out for duty at Sacket's Harbor. In politics, he was a Jackson Democrat, and in his social relations was a Master Mason. His death occurred April 4, 1830. His wife, who was born in New York, November 13, 1797, died September 2, 1881. She was a descendant of a Mohawk Dutch family on the father's side, while her mother came from Rhode Island, and belonged to an old New England family.
In the usual manner of farmer lads, Abraham Jackson was reared, and to his father gave the benefit of his services until twenty-six years of age, when, empty-handed, he started out in life for himself. In 1846 he went to Connecticut, where he became brakeman on a passenger train. Later he was baggage-master on the train which was run by Engineer Reed, who is so well known in railroad history. At the breaking out of the gold fever in California, he joined the organization known as the Montague Mining and Trading Association in December, 1848. This was formed of a company of forty. They set sail for the Pacific Slope, January 23, 1849, rounded Cape Horn, and after experiencing many severe storms, the voyage of twenty thousand miles was completed and they landed in California in June. The company took their vessel to the mouth of the Feather River, and located in Yuba diggings, where Mr. Jackson remained until November, 1849, when he went to Sacramento, and on a lumber-vessel went to Portland, Ore., where he worked in a shipyard, and aided in building a ship whose keel, one hundred and sixty feet in length, was made from a single piece of timber. He then worked as engineer on a steamboat line until 1854, when he returned by way of the Isthmus of Panama to New York.
The following spring, Mr. Jackson came to Sheboygan County, and purchased one hundred and twenty acres of land in Lyndon Township, of which only twenty acres had been broken. A log cabin had been built, and other meagre improvements made. On the 15th of October following, he was married to Miss Sarah A. Parkhurst, a native of New York, and they became the parents of two sons and three daughters, of whom three are yet living: John P., who married Miss Mary Weeks, a native of Wisconsin, and is now farming at home; Jennie, wife of R. Carlson, a cheese-maker of Footville, Rock County, by whom she has a daughter, Mildred; and Frank R., who resides with his wife and daughter Mabel in Plymouth. The mother of this family died August 19, 1864, and Mr. Jackson was married November 16, 1864, to Miss Addie E. Huson, a native of Jefferson County, N. Y., born July 9, 1847. They have had five children, but two are now deceased. Nellie, a well-educated young lady, who studied in the Plymouth High School, is now fitting herself for a professional nurse, and graduated from the Wisconsin General Hospital of Milwaukee in the Class of October 17, 1893. Clark W., a graduate of the Waldo High School of 1889, and a young man of more than ordinary ability, is pursuing a complete course of pharmacy in the State University of Wisconsin, and will graduate in 1894. His sister Nellie is quite a performer on the organ, and he has decided musical talent, playing on the violin, banjo and cornet. Anna completes the family. Mrs. Jackson is a daughter of John and Harriet (Peck) Huson. In their family were three children, two now living. Her brother Alphonso was a veteran of the late war and resides in Lima Township. Mrs. Jackson was a maiden of only twelve summers when she came to this State. She has been a valuable helpmate to her husband, and is a most estimable lady. She holds membership with the Episcopal Church of Sheboygan Falls.
The Jackson farm comprises one hundred and sixty acres of highly cultivated land, well watered with never-failing springs, and every convenience and accessory of a model farm is there found. The pleasant home is decorated with many beautiful paintings, the work of Mrs. Jackson, one scene of which represents her childhood home in the Empire State. Mr. and Mrs. Jackson are recognized as leading citizens of the community, and in social circles hold an enviable position. He was in early life a Democrat, but since the organization of the Republican party has been one of its stanch supporters, and for twenty years has been officially connected with the schools of this community. Socially, he is a Master Mason, and belongs to the lodge of Plymouth.
|Copyright © 2009 www.sheboyganhistory.com - All Rights Reserved.|