|Home | Yearbooks | Students | Biographies | History | Phone Books | Churches | Pictures | Links|
Herman August Muehlmeier, Page 584
HERMAN AUGUST MUEHLMEIER, Inspector of the Mission House, located in Herman Township, is well known throughout the State as an educator. He was born near the city of Lippe-Detmold, in the province bearing the same name, in Germany, April 25, 1829. His father who also bore the Christian name of Herman, died in the Fatherland. In 1847, the mother with her five children, one son and four daughters, sailed from Bremen to New Orleans. There were about three hundred who emigrated at the same time, because of religious oppression, the Government refusing to let the Heidelburg Catechism be taught.
In his native country, Mr. Muehlmeier had enjoyed good education privileges. After coming to this country he prepared himself for college, and entered an institution near Hermann, Mo. Later he attended at Des Peres, near St. Louis, and completed his theological course in 1853, at a seminary then situated at Mercersburgh, Pa., not at Lancaster. His first charge was as a missionary to Sheboygan, where he established in the same year, 1853, Zion Church, remaining its pastor a little over five years. At the expiration of that period he became pastor of Emanuel Church in the town of Herman. Soon after locating there, Mr. Muehlmeier, in connection with Dr. J. Bossard at that time pastor of Saron's Church, began to give instruction at their own homes to young men who wished to enter the ministry or take up the profession of teaching. How from this small beginning the Mission House has grown will be told in the history of that institution found elsewhere in this work. During the years that have come and gone, about six hundred young men have received instruction at this institution, of whom one hundred and eighty have entered the ministry. For over thirty years Mr. Muehlmeier has been connected with the Mission House, and the success with which the institution has met is in a large degree due to his untiring effort and efficient management.
On the 31st of October, 1853, Mr. Muehlmeier and Miss Sophia Waldecker were united in marriage at Sheboygan. Mrs. Muehlmeier, who is also a native of Lippe-Detmold, came to America on the same ship as her husband. Six children have blessed this union. Clara wedded Rev. W. Stieneker, a minister of the German Reformed Church at Eureka, S. Dak.; Sila is the wife of J. W. Grosshusch, A. M., professor of mathematics and physics in the Mission House; Otto, who is a graduate both of the literary and theological departments of that institution, and who has been actively engaged in the ministry, is now connected with the school as House Father; Meta became the wife of Dr. Paul Kuentzel, of Reeseville, Dodge County; Albert, who graduated from the Mission House, and also from McCormick Seminary, of Chicago, is pastor of the church at Medina, Outagamie County; and Amelia is at home.
During his many years as instructor, Mr. Muehlmeier has come in contact with many of the prominent educators throughout the United States, and is well known in educational circles. The school which he has worked so earnestly to build up will stand in after years as a monument to his devotion to the cause of education, while the students, impresses with his individuality, will live higher, purer lives from having come in contact with such a mind.
|Copyright © 2009 www.sheboyganhistory.com - All Rights Reserved.|