|Home | Yearbooks | Students | Biographies | History | Phone Books | Churches | Pictures | Links|
George W. Schmitt, Page 684
GEORGE W. SCHMITT, who carries on general merchandising at the corner of Maryland and South Fifteenth Streets, is a native of Sheboygan Town, born January 11, 1864. His parents, George and Henrietta (Arnholter) Schmitt, are natives respectively, of Hesse-Nassau, and Westphalia, Germany. In early life the father learned the trade of harness-maker, becoming a finished workman. When about twenty-one years of age, he emigrated to the United States, and after working some three years in New Jersey, came to Sheboygan, among the early settlers. In company with Julius Leber, he opened a harness-shop in this city, but later disposed of his interests and turned his attention to farming. He now owns a good farm two miles north of the city limits. In this county he married Miss Arnholter, who is also an early settler here. Of this union six children were born, though but four of them are now surviving. William, who was educated in the public schools and the business college of the Chair City, and also in a commercial college at Indianapolis, Ind., has been a merchant's clerk for a number of years, but is now book-keeper for the gentleman whose name heads this record; George W. is the next in order of birth; Otto is at home and operates the farm; and Clara is the wife of B. Koerner, of Sheboygan.
George W. Schmitt is a young man of good business ability, as is shown by his successful career. Having received a good practical education in the Evergreen City schools, he went to Indianapolis to work for his uncle. Returning home, he worked for some time in Garton's toy factory. During the succeeding two years, he superintended Dr. Carol Muth's stock-farm, and then clerked a short time for Johann & Derwaldt. On the 31st of March, 1889, he purchased a stock of goods of Albert Kaems and Charles Spaude, who were conducting business at the place where Mr. Schmitt has since continued it. He purchased a grocery stock, and has since added a dry-goods department. His large double store is filled with a carefully selected stock. The dry-goods room is 22 x 60 feet, and the grocery department is of the same dimensions, while in the rear is a poolroom, 20 x 24 feet. The front part of the structure is two-story, and the rear but one-story.
Mr. Schmitt has a good trade, which has been attracted by his courteous and fair treatment of his customers. He is a gentleman of good habits, and is a member of the German Lutheran Church. With the exception of $700, he has made by his own industry and good management all that he possesses. Though of slight build, Mr. Schmitt is a man of exceptional muscular power. He has been a resident of Sheboygan County all his life, where he is well known and highly respected.
|Copyright © 2009 www.sheboyganhistory.com - All Rights Reserved.|