|Home | Yearbooks | Students | Biographies | History | Phone Books | Churches | Pictures | Links|
Henry D. Squire, M. D., Page 206
HENRY D. SQUIRE, M. D., a homeopathic physician, has been engaged in the practice of his profession in the city of Sheboygan since September, 1873.
Dr. Squire is a native of the State of New York, having been born at Riverhead, Suffolk County, on Long Island, September 6, 1839. He comes of an old family of that part of the Empire State. His father, Daniel Squire, was a native of the same place, as was also his grandfather. The family is of English origin. In 1848, Daniel Squire removed with his family to Chicago. That remarkable city of wonderful growth was then in its early infancy, and gave no promise of the magnitude and importance to which it has attained.
The gentleman whose name heads this record was one of a family of eight children, consisting of five sons and three daughters. In 1849, after a year's residence in Chicago, the family removed to Rockford, Ill. There Dr. Squire spent his later boyhood and early manhood, and in the public schools of that place received the rudiments of his education.
He began the study of his profession in 1861 with Dr. H. H. Cator, attending his first course of lectures at Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago, and graduating from the Western Homeopathic College, at Cleveland, Ohio (now the Homeopathic Hospital College), February 25, 1864. Soon after graduating, he located at McGregor, Iowa, and was engaged in the successful practice of his profession there and at Prairie du Chien till 1873. Resolving to change his field of practice, after spending a few months at Denver, Colo., he located in Sheboygan, where for twenty years he has been the chief physician of the homeopathic system of practice, and much of the time the only one.
November 28, 1866, in McGregor, Iowa, occurred the marriage of Dr. Squire and Mrs. Mary E. Chamberlain, nee Watson, a native of Sheboygan County, Wis. The Doctor and wife have the following children: Edward H., Henry D., Jr., Mary C., Sarah B., Charles H., Arthur B. and Alice.
The Doctor is a member of various civic and fraternal orders, namely: Odd Fellows, Knights of Honor, Royal Arcanum, National Union, Maccabees and Harugari. He has a large and lucrative practice, and stands in the front rank of the physicians of his school.
|Copyright © 2009 www.sheboyganhistory.com - All Rights Reserved.|