Home | Yearbooks | Students | Biographies | History | Phone Books | Churches | Pictures | Links



 From the Portrait and Biographical Record of Sheboygan County, Wis., 1898:

Capt. Erastus W. Stannard, Page 251


CAPT. ERASTUS W. STANNARD was one of the early and well-known citizens of the town of Greenbush.  He was a native of Cortland County, N. Y., his birth having occurred November 22, 1817, and was a son of Ezra Stannard.  He grew to manhood in his native State, and on November 6, 1839, was married to Keviah Knowles, daughter of James and Elizabeth (Dygert) Knowles.

    In 1851 Mr. Stannard came with his family to Wisconsin, and settled in what is now the town of Greenbush, where he bought a farm and engaged in farming.  In his youth he received a good education, and was a man of more than ordinary ability.  In the new town of Greenbush he took a leading and active interest in promoting its development, and served in the capacity of Supervisor and Chairman of the town a number of terms.  He was also elected by the citizens of his district to the Assembly branch of the Wisconsin State Legislature, and faithfully and conscientiously performed.

    When the War of the Rebellion came on, Mr. Stannard responded to the call of the Government for volunteers to aid in its suppression.  He was instrumental in raising a body of men, which was mustered into the service as Company B, of the Twenty-seventh Wisconsin Infantry.  He was commissioned Captain of this company, and served in that capacity until his death.  The Twenty-seventh was one of Wisconsin's famous regiments, and took part in many of the most important campaigns and battles of the war.  Though he had participated in many severe conflicts, he escaped the bullets of the foe, but was accidentally killed by one of his own men.  It was during the siege of Vicksburg, in June of 1863.  Becoming exhausted while the command was making a forced march, he had been riding in an ambulance, and was just in the act of alighting, when a soldier, in removing his gun from the ambulance, accidentally discharged it, wounding Capt. Stannard so severely that he died a few hours later.  This sad event occurred on the 8th of June, 1863.  After being wounded, realizing that he could not long survive his injuries, he requested that his body be taken home for burial.  He was buried temporarily near the place of his death, but later his dying request was complied with, and his body tests in the beautiful cemetery at Greenbush.  He was a gallant soldier and a useful citizen, and his untimely death was greatly lamented.

    Besides his wife, who still lives in the pleasant home in the village of Greenbush out of which Capt. Stannard went to enter the service of his country, he left two children, a son and a daughter.  Henry, the former, was born January 20, 1843, and also served in the late war, being a member of the gallant Eighth Wisconsin, known as "the Eagle Regiment."  He is now a resident of Armstrong's Corners, Fond du Lac County.  The daughter, Althea, is the wife of Hollis Wade, of Greenbush.