|Home | Yearbooks | Students | Biographies | History | Phone Books | Churches | Pictures | Links|
Henry Nickel, Page 571
HENRY NICKEL, is a senior member of the firm of Nickel & Kegler, proprietors of the Plymouth Marble Works. The Business was established in June, 1877, by Mr. Nickel and H. and C. Imig, under the firm name of Nickel & Co. About three years later, the Messrs. Imig retired, and Mr. Nickel became associated with his father-in-law, A. F. Laack, the latter having bought out the interests of the Imigs. One year later, in 1871, Mr. Nickel became sole proprietor, and remained alone till February, 1890, when, the business having attained to such proportions that a partner was needed, he became associated with C. F. Kegler. This is one of the important industries of Plymouth, and the firm has an extensive trade, the many beautiful monuments and headstones seen in the various cemeteries in this part of the State which these gentlemen have erected attesting the excellence of their work.
Mr. Nickel is a native of Wisconsin, and was born in the city of Milwaukee, November 24, 1855. His father, Christian Nickel, was a native of Germany, and came to this country with his father when a youth. On attaining to manhood he was united in marriage to Miss Louisa Stark. He became one of the early business men of Milwaukee, and for a time kept a boot and shoe store on East Water Street. He was quite a skillful musician, and was a member of the band on the "Lady Elgin," when that vessel was lost in a collision with a sailing-vessel off Waukegan, on Lake Michigan, July 8, 1860, while conveying a large party of excursionists between Milwaukee and Chicago. Mr. Nickel was one of about three hundred passengers who lost their lives in that awful catastrophe. After the death of the father, the mother and her three children removed to Sheboygan. The mother is now the wife of Valentine Schaetzel, of Sheboygan. The subject of this sketch is the eldest of the three children. His sister Emma is the wife of Edward Neumann, of Sheboygan; and the youngest of the children, Louisa, died in childhood.
At the age of fourteen years, Henry Nickel engaged to learn the trade of a marble-cutter with Christian Liebermann, of Sheboygan. He remained with him two years, and then went to Milwaukee, where he continued work at his trade. He then returned to Sheboygan and worked for Messrs. Root & Liebermann. That firm dissolving partnership, Mr. Root continued the business, with Mr. Nickel as foreman, for three and a-half years. At the expiration of that time, Mr. Nickel came to Plymouth.
Mr. Nickel was united in marriage to Miss Matilda Laack, daughter of A. F. Laack, on November 16, 1880. Our subject is an enterprising citizen and a successful business man. His fine brick residence on Collins Street he erected in 1888, and in addition he owns other valuable property. Socially, he affiliates with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
|Copyright © 2009 www.sheboyganhistory.com - All Rights Reserved.|