|Home | Yearbooks | Students | Biographies | History | Phone Books | Churches | Pictures | Links|
Joseph Schrage, Page 452
JOSEPH SCHRAGE, a well-known pioneer of Sheboygan, was born November 12, 1818, near Olpe, Westphalia, Germany. In 1842 he emigrated to the United States, and made his first location at Buffalo, N. Y., where me married Miss Marianna Stamm, a native of the same place as himself, born August 29, 1820. Having spent a short time in that city, the young couple continued their journey Westward to Milwaukee, Wis. Mr. Schrage decided to follow agriculture, and located on a farm in that part of the State, but in 1847 removed to the village of Sheboygan. He first engaged in the grocery business, but later built the Wisconsin House, a place of public entertainment well known to the early settlers. The house was located where Bodenstein Bros. now have a large store. After keeping a public house for a number of years, Mr. Schrage again turned his attention to mercantile pursuits. At No. 519 Eighth Street, where F. Lawrence carries on a hardware business, Mr. Schrage erected a store building and engaged in the dry goods trade. For a time he was also proprietor of a livery stable.
In political affairs, Mr. Schrage took an active and prominent part, being an earnest Republican. In 1856 he was honored by his fellow-citizens by election to the Assembly. He served the people of the county a term as Sheriff, and the citizens of Sheboygan both as Treasurer and Alderman. In every official capacity, he discharged his duties with an independence and fidelity that won him unbounded confidence and consideration. On the 4th of January, 1892, Mr. Schrage departed this life, leaving a widow, who still makes her home in Sheboygan, and four children, as follows: William, whose sketch is given below; Mrs. E. Otte, a resident of Sheboygan; Mrs. O. Magenan, of Fremont, Neb.; and Gustav, who is engaged in mercantile business in the Chair City.
William Schrage, Superintendent of the Phoenix Chair Company, needs no especial introduction to the people of Sheboygan County, as his entire life has been spent here. He was born in the Evergreen City, June 6, 1852, and his literary education was received in the public schools of his native city. In 1870 he entered the drug store of T. M. Blackstock as a clerk, and was thus employed continuously until 1879, with the exception of a period in 1873-74, when he was pursuing a course in pharmacy in the Michigan State University. In 1879, Mr. Schrage became a partner with his employer in the drug business, the connection continuing mutually pleasant and profitable for three years. At the expiration of that time he spent a year traveling in Europe, and another year traveling in California and the West. Returning to Sheboygan, he purchased an interest in the old Globe Foundry, being associated with Philip Meyer in its operation. In December of 1891, Mr. Schrage sold out to his partner, and in the March following acquired an interest in the Phoenix Chair Company, with which he has since been identified.
In Sheboygan, on the 12th of July, 1883, occurred the marriage of Mr. Schrage and Miss Annie E., daughter of J. O. Thayer, a sketch of whom will be found on another page. Of this union two children have been born, Joseph T. and Jennie T.
In his political principles, our subject is a Republican, and, socially, is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Mr. Schrage has made a record of which he has no cause to be ashamed, for, commencing as a merchant's clerk on a small salary, he has by persistent efforts risen to a place among the business men of recognized ability of this part of the State.
|Copyright © 2009 www.sheboyganhistory.com - All Rights Reserved.|