|Home | Yearbooks | Students | Biographies | History | Phone Books | Churches | Pictures | Links|
Sylvanus Wade, Page 607
SYLVANUS WADE. Among the very early and well-known settlers of Sheboygan County, will be remembered the gentleman whose name heads this biography, a pioneer of 1844. Sylvanus Wade was born in North Adams, Mass., July 3, 1796, and was a son of Sylvanus and Mary Wade. The former was born August 28, 1764, and the latter May 15, 1773. The family, on the Wade side, is of English origin, and an old family of Colonial days in America. Sylvanus, our subject's grandfather, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and the grandson was in the War of 1812.
Sylvanus Wade was educated in the common schools, which were then in their infancy, with very little in common with those of to-day. He learned the blacksmith's trade on reaching a suitable age. In his youth he removed with his parents to Bradford, Pa. In that State, at New Milford, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Wade and Miss Betsey, daughter of Jotham and Sarah (Milbourn) Oakley. Mrs. Wade was a native of that place, and a descendant of the Milbourns of Brooklyn, Pa.
After their marriage they lived in Pennsylvania for several years, and in 1836 moved to Joliet, Ill., where they remained some five years. At the end of that time they came to Wisconsin, settling in Jefferson County, at Ft. Atkinson, and from there came to the town of Greenbush, Sheboygan County, arriving April 28, 1844. Mr. Wade built a log house in Greenbush, just opposite and to the east of the present Wade House in this village. He opened a blacksmith shop, and resumed work at his trade, and also cleared up a farm. He had ten acres of prairie, which he ploughed the first year, and in addition kept hotel, having opened one immediately after their coming. There was no road cut through to Fond du Lac at that time, and in the fall of 1850 the first Plank Road meeting was held at Mr. Wade's home.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. Wade was born a family of twelve children, four sons and eight daughters, ten of whom came to Wisconsin. James died in infancy; Julia A. is the wife of Charles H. Robinson, of Fond du Lac; Clarissa is the widow of Dr. C. M. Hamilton, of Wheaton, Minn.; Andrew J. married Eunice M. Hunt, and died April 28, 1870; Polly lives at Brandon, Wis.; Harriet was the wife of James H. Kellogg, and died March 24, 1891; Rachel became the wife of John Larrabee, of Waupun, this State; Sarah M., widow of Andrew A. Lampheer, resides in Chicago; Jane died at the age of two years; Ellen E., widow of Dr. A. B. Cary, also resides in Chicago; Sylvanus E. Wedded Emma Mapes, and is a dentist in Fond du Lac; Hollis C. was born in Ft. Atkinson, Wis., and married Allie L. Stannard, a daughter of Capt. E. W. and Zeviah (Knowls) Stannard, who was born in Monroe County, N. Y.
Mr. Wade, Sr., and his wife were both members of the Congregational Church. He was a Republican in politics, and served as Justice of the Peace for several years, and was a member of the County Board for a number of terms. Socially, he was a member of Greenbush Lodge No. 78, I. O. O. F., being a charter member of the same.
On coming to this county, Mr. Wade purchased land of the Government, and a patent for two hundred acres is in the possession of his son, H. C. Mr. Wade died April 26, 1871, and his wife June 9, 1879. He was an active, public-spirited man, a leader among the pioneers, and a man highly respected by all who knew him.
|Copyright © 2009 www.sheboyganhistory.com - All Rights Reserved.|